Monday, 1 September 2008
Tuesday, 19 August 2008
Notice how the momentum increases as the departure date of 4th August gets closer. Some jobs were completed on passage, others are yet to be completed. We are now in island time, which means everthing that can be done the next day is left until tomorrow.
Click the list to enlarge it. Click the list to enlarge it.
Friday, 15 August 2008
Check out the new movies I’ve posted on YouTube http://au.youtube.com/user/ToSeeTheSea .
We had a great passage with only the generator causing us any grief.
Wednesday, 4 June 2008
Of course when you make the decision to undertake a project of this scale, the oportunity to fix other things you don't like can not be ignored.
Thursday, 13 March 2008
Saturday, 23 February 2008
Saturday, 16 February 2008
- First you need to work out what size and design you want.
- Then you need to get hold of some plans. Check out the link on the left for B and B yacht designs.
- Then you have to work out how to read the plans and purchase the right materials.
- If your plans are in Imperial and you learnt the metric system, be carefull about how you translate the recomended wood thickness.
- Then you need to join the bits of ply, using an tapered overlaping join.
I think I went a bit over the top in terms of insuring the join was well pressed together (see photo), but got the desired result.
Don't take shortcuts. In these photos you can see I didn't follow the plans that well. The whole bow including the topsides should have been joined together first. I had a hell of a job getting the topsides to come together evenly.
To be fair on myself, the garage I had borrowed to do the project didn't have enough room to use the method in the plans, (see the link to the left).
Remember to tripple check the measurements for the dividing bulkheads where the hull is cut in half. My wee error was fortunately in my favour and worked out well. If the error had gone the other way, I'd not have got the bow section inside the aft section.
The work progressed steadilly over the winter months.
Mostly I worked on it after work in the evening but the weekends were good for achieving so much more. It took up all of my spare time for about four months.
In the weekends the crew would pop around for a while and give a hand with the sanding.
Then we got to the stage were we could go no further until the hull had been cut in half.
When it had been cut in half, we were able to position the seating in the aft section
From then on it was lots of filling fairing and sanding. Not the most fun part of the project for me.
A Quick trip to Whangarei on the trailer to make use of my fathers
spray gun to apply the three shades of two pot paint system from Wairou Paints.
Then we Glued the closed cell foam onto the rubbing strake and covered it with Hypolon strap using Lancer Industies Two Pot contact adhesive.
I was amazed at how much time went into painting and finishing it. Probably about a third of the build time. In part due to the three colours that were each individually masked.
Back to Auckland for "Lawn Trials", which the kids informed me it passed with flying colours.
Then came the official launching at Gulf Harbour Marina, Whangaparoa Peninsular, where "Blue Heron" was berthed.
It looked just fine sitting alongside.
Fitted in place for offshore passages in the nested position the 11 foot long boat only took up 6 foot deck space. Nice and snug.
True to the designers claims, it was fast. Hamish (9) and Dad (?) both won first prize at the Devonport Yacht club beach sports day rowing races, held at home bay Motutapu Island.
It is a favourite pastime for Hamish to go for a blat around the bay. Seen here with a five hourse Yamaha. It is super quick with the new eight hourse Yamaha.
We got what we wanted in a dinghy. It is a bit of a pain having to put it all together and stow it when the weather is expected to be less than ideal and we are passaging. This is nothing in comparrison to having a tender that is as versitile as our Spindrift 11 Nesting Dinghy. We named her "MyST" (My Spare Time).
Friday, 15 February 2008
It wasn't until a really close look behind the scene was undertaken that the reason for the odd light flicker became apparent. Many of the old copper wires were joined with chocky blocks that had green copper ends held in place by the screws. The resistance created by the corrosion had created so much heat at some time in the past, the plastic surrounds of the chocky blocks had melted in some cases.
What to do with the old bookcase hole. More thinking and planning required.
Here she is anchored off Russel in the Bay of Islands.
The teak woodwork looked great varnished, but we soon worked out it would be a lot of work to keep looking good on the outside .
We were really pleased with the way she handled, dispite having a baggy old mainsail. She is a relatively comfortable yacht offshore, although the confused sea around Cape Brett had the crew feeling a little queezy.
In a building breeze from the east, we sailed back from Great Barrier Island reaching speeds of 12 knots across the ground with a single reef in the main and poled out Headsail (Number 3) and wind peaking at 27 knots.
There where aspects of the boat we were not comfortable with in terms of ocean passaging that had to be put right. We had no passive income and felt the work should be done before we departed New Zealand.
The position of the gauges annoyed me for one and they told lies.
The Position of the Mainsheet winch was silly and it wasn't up to the job.
The echosounder beeped (a lot).
The list started ;
- Investigate wet spots in Teak Deck. (More on this later)
- Improve the dodger.
- Replace the Standing Rigging
- Replace all running Rigging
- Replace the 20 year old foresail furler
- Add a Trisail track to the mast
- Improve the Spinnaker pole track system
- Rebuild the water logged rudder
- Treat Osmosis
- Sort out the electrical systems